Im feeling terrible low today, Mr Fairysteps is away and that always makes me sad. To attempt a cheering up I finally did some dyeing on a project I have been planning for simply ages. Many, many years ago, about 22 to be precise I made a present for Mr Fairysteps when we were still courting. I didnt earn very much money at the time so buying pure wool for an aran jumper was quite a big investment. I used a pattern from one of my favourite knitting books. "The traditional sweater book", by Madeline Weston. Its still possible to get secondhand copies on http://www.amazon.co.uk/ and I highly recommend it.
Last year I decided to pull it out and have a go at dyeing it. I used Ashford dyes making a rainbow dye pot. This is how it came out.
This was when I was still unaware that any bright colours, especially purple and blue looked revolting on me! It looked like I had lunged at a Rainbow and squished it flat, getting rainbow juice all over my jumper.... I unpicked about 10" off of each sleeve and re cast off the cuffs. I used the spare unravelled wool to make myself a beret. The colours once reknitted were amazing, just like a handspun in their variations.
Sooooo the courting jumper sat in the cupboard for another year... Untill about a week ago when I started unpicking all of the seams and the neckline to leave me a front, a back and two sleeves ready to redye.
I dyed the front and the back together with a Dylon dye, one of those little round magic pots we all love, Havana Brown. As I type they are drying on the Rayburn front rail, after their simmering, cooling, rinsing, spinning adventure. The colours look interesting so far! Lots of russety colours and a few dark, dark damsons. If they are dry enough I may start unravelling tonight. Im very excited about this because I dont want to loose this wool (it holds memories), and I want to make something wearable and special with it. A fitted cardigan for the winter.
I threw in the beret I made last year to tone it down a smidge.
Pictures as soon as its dry!!!